Sunday, March 27, 2011

There Are No Rules Here


I have a plaque on my desk at home that reads, "There are no rules here, we are trying to accomplish something." It's a quote by Thomas Edison.
I also have an engraved stone at the entrance to my house that reads, "Nothing is etched in stone."

There seems to be a theme here. I've learned through observing others and my own, personal experiences, that the less rules and regulations you tie yourself to, coupled with the internal understanding and acceptance that everything can and always changes, makes for a more satisfying, exciting and happy life. When we commit ourselves to arbitrary, self-made (or others-made) and often strict, heavy (and sometimes stupid) rules about how our lives are supposed to be, and at the same time believe that we cannot change, morph, transform these rules when needed, or simply because we want to, we deny ourselves the experience of living fully.

Sometimes we need to break promises (which really is just another name for a rule we set in a moment in time) to be true to ourselves. Emotions change, people grow, situations and experiences present themselves to us everyday, and we must be open to constantly rethinking about what works NOW, at this moment, based on who we are in the present. We should not live everyday with the idea that, "Ten years ago, I promised to feel a certain way about something forever, so I must continue to attempt to feel that way now." Hey, I might not like mint, chocolate chip ice cream anymore. Hence, my divorce 12 years ago.

I've always been a horrible rule follower. Even in my early years growing up, I had a hard time sticking to a set criteria of what was expected of me. I still do. Expectation is just another way of saying a set of rules you SHOULD live by. Expectations change often, and they should, based on what life is presenting to you in the here and now.

Don't get me wrong. I do believe in committing to processes. I'm not an impulsive decision maker, by any means. But I do believe that having strict rules and regulations about my life, limits and restricts my experience of life and all it contains. I want to taste all the flavors of this one life I have. I want to revel in life's changes and grow and morph according to what may present itself, both professionally and personally.

And I will never again commit to loving mint, chocolate chip ice cream forever. Wait, maybe I will, since everything, including emotions and tastes, are always changing. Hhhmmmm.....

There are no rules here and nothing is etched in stone......

Something to think about on this early, lazy Sunday morning......

Make it a great day!

My love,
Mich




No comments:

Post a Comment